|Towns of the Drava-project/Berzence|
7516 Berzence, Szabadság tér 19.
|The story of gold panning
Beginning our walk of exploration through the hilly streets of Berzence we find the Festetics Manor and the glorious trees of its park, which was built in 1750, and today operates as a social home. Likewise dating from the 18th century is the Postal Inn on the high street and to which Imre Makovecz's Community Centre has been sensitively added. This was one of the stops on the Sopron to Pécs post route. At the Holy Cross in Árpád Square we may see sculptures of Saint Katalin and Saint John of Nepomuk, followed by three chapels and a parish church, amongst which the Chapel of Christ's Heart has been a place of prayer since 1908. Berzence's newest pride is the renovated school, completed in 2007, providing a home for the exhibition of fauna and flora of the Danube-Dráva National Park, the 'Gold-panning in the Carpathian Basin' exhibition, and the local history collection, containing the costumes of the various local ethnic groups. In the Lankóc and Vecsenye Forests we may be lucky enough to find plants such as the Butcher's Broom, the Thin-spiked Wood-sedge, the Spinulose Woodfern and the Scrubland Nettle.