|Towns of the Drava-project/Zákányfalu|
8853 Zákányfalu, Szabadság u. 89.
|On the "Yellow Cross" trail
The most significant building in Zákányfalu is the Zichy Manor house, built in 1835 and extended in 1910. It now has a ground plan of 800-900 square metres. The library of the former landowners serves the same function today, whilst the building became public property after the Second World War and was converted into a junior school. Of its one-time 6-hectare park only two hectares remain today, providing a beautiful setting for the pupils of the school, where centuries-old trees provide shade - including Giant Redwood and Japonica - for the children playing in the courtyard. In autumn 2007 a new building was erected in the park in the form of a wooden tourist point and rain shelter in a spot popular with the hikers and cyclists travelling along the "Yellow Cross" trail. The protected Roman Catholic church of 1811, and its park, are also worth a visit. Part of the area - the River Dráva, the floodplain woodlands, the railway-side and Tölös Hill - belong to the Danube-Dráva National Park. The warmth proffered by the special micro-climate provides a suitable habit for Mediterranean and West Balkan flora.