|Towns of the Drava-project/Harkány|
7815 Harkány, Petőfi Sándor u. 2-4.
Tel.: 72/480-100, 72/480-501
Mayor:Dr. Imri Sándor
|A spa town with a million visitors
The town is first mentioned in 1323 and the medicinal waters of Harkány, in 1823. Tradition has it that a local labourer discovered that the waters of the local marshes proved beneficial for his chronic leg pains. Building of the baths was begun in 1824 by the Batthyány family, owners of the nearby Siklós Castle. It became a Mecca for sufferers of rheumatic diseases and today receives close to a million visitors a year. The water is also beneficial for digestive disorders and skin diseases. The baths are set in a 13.5-hectare park and the water surface covers almost 8,000m2, with a covered recreation area of a further 5,000m2. The first wells were made in 1866 and 1882, but today other wells provide the water for the baths.